Monday, February 16, 2009

Pleasantly surprized!

I spent Valentines at the birth of a wonderful couple in Women's College Hospital. The birth was wonderful, everything went very well. So why was I pleasantly surprised? My only experiences with this hospital was one birth with midwives and several women telling me that their doctor was insisting they not have a doula.

One woman, a single mother with only her elderly mother for support asked her doctor about getting a doula and he told her it wasn't necessary, that he would be there and doulas were not worth it and would ruin their birth. She was a candidate for a volunteer doula and was the one person who really did need a doula. Thankfully she didn't listen to her doctor and had a doula and that took a lot of pressure off her and her mother to be there all on their own. Their doctor was not there for her, he wasn't even there for the birth.

My client this weekend told her doctor that that she was having a doula. He told her that their doula "had better watch her place. I'm not talking to her about you." I was worried that this doctor would ban me from the birth. He had some chip on his shoulder that a doula would encourage a client to go against their doctor. That a doula would give medical advice. That simply isn't the case. Doulas are not medical. Our role is to comfort, physically and emotionally. Our job is to educate and make sure that when a client has a big decision to make they are doing it with all the information.

So when I entered the hospital I was concerned that I would not be able to support my clients to my fullest abilities. Turns out the only problem I had was the incredibly small room. The nurses were awesome and respected my role on the team. The anesthesiologist was fabulous and let me stay for the epidural despite the size of the room. Her doctor went off shift and the new doctor was great and very pleasant.

I was very pleased with how everything went and stayed longer then I usually do. I'm actually looking forward to my next birth there.

No comments: