Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I Want To Become A Doula!

When I gave birth to my third child almost 10 years ago I did so with only the support of my partner. We didn't think we needed anyone else with us.  We'd done this before.  Twice.  My partner was great, but the birth was a bit of a farce.  I was induced in the morning and by the afternoon things were progressing quickly.  I did not have an epidural as I had the first two times and my partner needed to stay with me the whole time.  He could not leave my side.  I needed him.  But as a result he was not able to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom.  When it came time to push the deprivation he had endured for eight hours took its toll and he fainted.  The staff were more concerned about him than me and my perfect birth was out the window.  After the birth I experienced lots of Breastfeeding issues that ended with my daughter back in the hospital.  I later suffered from postpartum depression that ultimately took over my life.  If we had support during the birth or the postpartum period I do believe things could have ended differently.

I became intrigued with the aspect of support during birth and the postpartum period and did some research.  By fluke I came across the profession of "Doula".  But how did one become a doula? How did you make this a profession?  I'm often asked this now as a doula trainer so I thought it would be a good idea to lay it out here for everyone to see the steps involved.  

When I first began my research there were really only two organizations that were available to choose from, especially for a Canadian.  I looked at both and sought some advice of other doulas I had met on line in doula chat rooms, remember this was before FaceBook.  One doula in particular suggested I look at each organization's Vision Statement, Position Paper and their Approach to Birth. When I did I found I was drawn to the Vision that CAPPA had toward birth and their doulas. So now I had a path. 

I started with the labour doula workshop.  It was two days and explored a doulas scope of practice, the stages and phases of birth, comfort measures, how to support women and their partners during labour, how to handle unexpected outcomes, how to support a cesarean section or a VBAC, pain medications and the doulas role, supporting Breastfeeding and offering resources to pregnant women and new mums, the business side of your job and finding clients and oh so much more.  It was amazing! 

I walked out of that workshop as a doula in training.  I could now work with women and support them in their births.  During the early years of my doula life I continued to run my Home Daycare.  The families I served were very forgiving if I needed to have my husband watch the kids or my Mum or had to call in sick one day every now and then.  I also spent a number of years working at Shopper's Drug Mart and had a younger teenage cashier agree to take a shift on a moments notice if I had to go to a birth.  I also found like minded doulas who I got along really well with and we worked as back ups for each other.  I was nervous giving up guaranteed income for the risk of being self employed, so in the beginning I took just one a month, and worked slowly to gain experience and immerse myself in the birthing community.  One day I realized I was becoming popular, in demand and I had to make a decision to either do this "doula thing" or quit.  By that time I was also a Childbirth Educator and Postpartum Doula.  So while my income was not Millionaire worthy it was comfortable enough to take away my safety net.  And I'm so glad I did.

During those early years I was also working on the steps to become certified.  Being certified was important to me because I believe if you are going to do anything, you do it right and you do it fully. These days being certified is becoming more important as our profession becomes more popular and clients are now requesting certification.  And, as we creep ever more closely toward regulation, certification will definitely become a requirement.  

The steps to labour doula certification are many but not difficult.  And CAPPA allows 2 years for you to work on these steps.  I also used an extension which was easily granted as CAPPA understands that life happens and family comes first.  

Steps to Certification- Your Road Map To Becoming Certified:

(For the sake of this piece I will discuss the current steps to certification as things have changed slightly in recent years. You should always check the CAPPA website for the most up-to-date list of steps)

The order in which you do these steps is not important except for signing up for CAPPA Academy.  CAPPA is unique in that it has an online certification process.  All your documents, forms, exam and steps are found in CAPPA Academy.  

Once you have signed up then you would be free to tackle the steps as you see fit.  Those steps include: 
- Become a member of CAPPA.  As a member and a trained doula you will appear in CAPPA's referral section so expectant and new parents can find you.  You do not have to be certified before you appear on the website. 
- Complete the preworkshop study that you would get when you register for a workshop.
- Read the manual that you will get and go over extensively in the workshop.
- Read 5 books from the reading list.  You'll probably read more than that as you find books that peak your interest and expand your knowledge. 
- Complete part one of the HUG Your Baby Training program.  This program gives professionals strategies and tools to help prevent or solve problems around newborn sleep, eating, playing and attachment.  Professionals will be able to boost parent confidence, enhance Breastfeeding and promote bonding. 
- Create a resource list that you can use to make referrals to new mums and expectant parents.  That list would include lactation consultants, support groups, midwives and more. 
- Attend a Childbirth Education Class.  
- Attend a Breastfeeding Class
- Pass the multiple choice and essay exam found on CAPPA Academy.  This is an open book exam so no need to worry. 
- Attend three births and have them evaluated by the labouring mum, her primary care provider (Doctor or Midwife) and her secondary care provider (nurse or secondary midwife) for a total of nine evaluations. 
- Sign and agree to CAPPA's Code of Conduct and Social Media Policy, Grievance Policy, Missions Statement, CAPPA Approach / Philosophy Statement, Vision Statement and Scope of Practice. 

And that's it! Once you have completed these steps you gather everything together that needs to be sent in to the office, make copies and send those copies in.  Give the amazing office staff 6 weeks to mark your package and if all is in order you will receive your certification and be able to use the letters CLD next you your name. 

When I received my certification from CAPPA it was one of the proudest moments of my life.  I am so thrilled to be a member of and trainer for CAPPA.  This organization is a true sisterhood of support.  Their motto is "Love Wins!" And they truly mean that! 

So if being a doula is something you have thought of, or you have more questions about how to become a doula you can check out CAPPA's website at www.cappa.net or find workshops on my website at www.torontodoulagroup.com/becomeadoula.htm or you can email me at kim@torontodoulagroup.com

Being a doula and childbirth educator is the most rewarding job I've ever had and I can't thank CAPPA enough for being such an amazing, supportive and forward thinking organization.  

No comments: